*August 16th*

It may be that the harsh words and accusations I use to whip my parents for them not doing what I want them to do, leave no scares on their hearts or love for me. But how can I tell? How can I risk hurting my parents when they are the ones who love me most?

If God has something to say to my parents, how can they hear Him over my shouting? What is the purpose of letting myself fly apart in reckless tantrums? To consequence family members for not having my way, or is it to relieve my pent-up feelings, that only hurt others in the end?

Today's Reminder
I cannot punish anyone without punishing myself. The release of my tensions, even if it seems justified, leaves bitterness behind. Unless I have deliberately decided that my relationship with my family, especially my parents, has no further value in my life, I would do well to consider the long-range benefits of quiet acceptance in times of stress. Am I an enemy to my parents, or do I really love them?

"How shall you punish those whose remorse is already greater than their misdeeds?"

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon" by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI, 8-16.]

No comments: