*August 17th*

It was a painful experience the first time I went to a Parent Intervention Meeting with my parents. I remember the whirling thoughts, the fears, the uncertainty. Uneasy questions came crowding into our minds: "What in the world are these stupid grown ups doing to me?" - "I planned to really show my anger when arriving home with my family!" - "I was so embarassed!"

But what is true, those people were doing for me what they knew was for my own good. And every person there understood that no word that was said in the meeting was ever to be said outside of the building.

Today's Reminder
I should remember to watch what I say about other people at all times. Is what I say hurtful to others? When I do that, maybe I am becoming the kind of person myself I do not want to be. Actually, parents and children both deserve this respect. That what is said is not spread about to make a parent or kid look bad.

"It might be good for me to learn to say "sorry" sometimes when I have said something bad about my parents or others."

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon" by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI, 8-17.]

No comments: