*August 9th*

I know how easy it is to let anger well up inside me at the thought of someone who has injured me. What is much more difficult is to take a detached view so I can stop the building up of this "head of steam." Unless I do this, it will explode, damaging me and everything around me.

When I am frustrated in my desire to punish the one I’m angry at, I may take it out on others like my parents or friends. Surely I have an obligation - a duty of love - to avoid aggravating and provoking to anger others, especially my parents.

Today’s Reminder:
There are many good reasons to keep myself from harboring resentful thoughts. They can grow into savage attacks on other human beings. Another good reason for quieting my anger before it gets out of hand is to prevent the emotional scars it can leave on me.

"If any man among you seem to be religious and bridleth not his tongue, he deceiveth his own heart; this mans’ religion is vain." (General Epistle of James)

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon", 8-9.]

No comments: