*August 28th*

We are told there can be no progress and growth without humility. This idea is confusing to me at first, and it almost always makes me get more angry when I think of it. "What, am I supposed to be a submissive "slave" to my parents, teachers and everybody, no matter how humiliating it is!!!

No, that is not what being "humble" means. True humility does not mean meek surrender to an ugly, destructive way of life, - that is what I can be doing to myself if I keep doing things the wrong way. It means surrender to God's will, which is quite a different thing. Humility prepares me for understanding what God wants me to do. Being humble shows me how good things will come to me in time when I do what He wishes me to do.

Today's Reminder
The attitude of true humility helps me to feel good about myself, helps me to build good self-esteem on "good" things, not "bad" things. It gives me strength to see spiritual answers to my life's problems.

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God . . . casting all your care upon Him, for He careth for you. He giveth grace to the humble."

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI, 3-1]

No comments: