*September 1st*

When my problems seem to be coming at me all at once, I find myself thinking alone in my private thoughts becoming more and more depressed by what I'm thinking. Sometimes when I do this, even when I confide in friends, it leaves me feeling lonely and feeling no one can possibly understand what I'm going through.

Yet, dwelling on my troubles only shuts me in my mind, away from a world that is waiting to be enjoyed. Nothing has real power to deprive me of the delights to be found in many daily experiences - even a routine responsibility I must complete for school or home. It would help me to remember the many things I have to be thankful for.

Today's Reminder
I may have big troubles, but I can, if I wish, make those troubles less painful by turning my thoughts to happier things. I will not isolate myself in my problems. I will observe and enjoy what is good and pleasant in the world around me.

"Let me not deprive myself of the many little joys that are mine for the taking."

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI]

No comments: