*August 20th*

It is so easy to criticize others inside and outside our family. Especially it is easy to criticize our parents. After all, we see other kids doing the same, and sometimes our parents don't let us do what we want to do. The criticism, the talking back and arguing, is often an emotional defense I make, because deep down I know my parents are right in what they are telling me. Its just that sometimes I don't want to admit it.

We all know the saying that when we point a finger at someone else in speaking bad about them, there are always three fingers pointing back.

Today's Reminder
It's sometimes a shock to have our thinking errors pointed out to us, but I must always remember that in the Parent Team Intervention meetings, and when I'm with my therapist, the motive is loving and meant to be helpful.

If I'm on the wrong track, I want to know it so I can correct my faulty attitude. Others can often see our problems more clearly than we can, and from that we get our best help. I appreciate my parents for what they are trying to do.

"Teach me to think straight, and not to take offense at criticism which is meant as loving guidance."
[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon" for the "Parent Team Intervention Program" by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI, 8-20.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1b...i can totaly relate to this one...