*September 14th*

When I quarrel, fight, and verbally abuse my parents, brothers and sisters, I fail to realize that in this way I can destroy what should be sacred relationships of people who love me. With those who are closest to me, I am most apt to forget the consideration owe to the people in my family. Yet, the fact is, I "am" able to change this behavior. I "can" set a new tone in my home by simply being courteous and kind to each member in my family.

Today's Reminder
A quiet, composed response to an enraged attack can "take-the-wind-out-of-the-sails" of someone yelling or who is angry with me. What can I possibly lose by responding this way? At least it will add to my own dignity and stature to say nothing I will later regret.

"Of Courtesy: it is much less
Than courage of heart or holiness.
Yet in my walks it seems to me
That the grace of God is in Courtesy."
(Hilaire Belloc: "Courtesy")


[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI]

No comments: