*September 17th*

Have I the courage to face up to my own problem behavior? Can I believe that my situation is "not" really hopeless, and that I can speak and act in ways that are better towards others, especially my parents? Can I keep myself cheerful when everything seems to be leading me to despair?

The answers "could" be YES, if, regardless of the circumstances, I build my self-esteem on doing what is right and good. Also, I can overcome my hopelessness by opening my eyes to the troubles other people live with, so often much worse than mine. I can bring myself to a brighter view of life if I avoid the habit of feeling sorry for myself. (Despair is often a mask for self-pity.)

Today's Reminder
I will practice three things each day:
1) I will stop enabling (or being a crutch) to the family member who is being a problem.
2) I will not let myself concentrate on things in the most negative way possible.
3) I will remind myself that self-respect can relieve me of the need for pity.

"... in quietness and in confidence shall be our strength. ..."
(Book of Common Prayer)


[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI]

No comments: