*September 4th*

As I uncover and face my own shortcomings, my many good qualities will be revealed to me, too, reminding me that they have the same reality as my faults. Let me appreciate them, for they not only "off-set" the faults, but give me a foundation on which to grow. If I recognize that I can be kind, tolerant, generous, honest, patient - let me be happy in these constructive qualities. They make it possible to accept myself. They are mighty strengths in me overpowering the shortcomings that are roadblocks to my happiness.

Today's Reminder
It is just as self-deceptive to discount, or put down, what is good in us as to ignore what is not. This is false humility, which is as arrogant and mean! The purpose of examining my character as a person, with as much honesty and detachment as possible, is not to exaggerate guilt for what I don't have, but to use the good to overcome my faults.

"Let me learn to understand myself first; that will occupy me so fully that I will have no time nor thought to analyze and criticize my spouse, my family and other people around me."

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI]

No comments: