*September 6th*

Sometimes I've hated to admit it, but it is true that I've been learning things in the Parent Team counseling and intervention program. They talked so much about my need to overcome my tendency to control others - the directing, scheming and manipulating that can only result in my own defeat.

It is true I've been mad so often when things have not gone my way. I've manipulated by getting angry or acting hurt, all to get others to do what "I" want them to do, - especially my parents. They tell me this is how I try to avoid natural consequences for my bad decisions, and attempt to avoid personal responsibility for what I think, do and feel.

Today's Reminder
The way I've sometimes manipulated my parents and other people, is pictured in the words of Tolstoy:

"I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - "except by getting off his back."

"Teach me to leave to others their inborn right to dignity and independence, as I wish to have them leave mine to me."

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI]

No comments: