*September 25th*

The hardest thing for me to learn is to stop imagining that I can figure out why other people do the things they do. Almost immediately I jump to conclusions about what other peoples' motives. Yet, I know in my heart that I cannot read minds, but still I live my life in such a way as if I could do so.

Nobody but God understands what goes on inside another human being. May I not try to "play God" to figure out my parents or anyone else. May I not examine each person, including members of my family, as though they were a bug under a microscope. I always want to remember that every human being must be respected for his or her own individuality, no matter how battered their sense of self might be at times.

Today's Reminder
I will, today and from now on, examine my own role in all my confusion and despair. If I do this honestly, I will come to realize that I am not blameless, that there is much to be changed in me.

"How can he think the way I think, or do just what I'd do? (I will remember, day by day, ‘My love, I am not you!)"

[Taken and fashioned from "One Day At A Time In Al-Anon"
for general family relationships by Jim Hogue, MA, MFTI]

No comments: